The MARKOS system itself will be an Open Source Software, which, thanks to the offered functionalities, is expected to facilitate software development based on the Open Source paradigm in a global context.
The MARKOS project is expected to give a considerable contribution in terms of:
- Enabling software developers to use an intuitive and advanced searching platform with an advanced service front-end allowing the easy identification of the more suitable Open Source solutions needed.
- Providing the analysis of code dependencies, software structures, and potential license infringements at a global level instead than single projects;
- Facilitating the publication of the description of Open Source software as Linked Data and the production of new tools for software analysis and development that leverage this semantic data.
- Allowing a faster adoption and integration of Open Source components and libraries, removing the issues related to licensing incompatibility;
- Strengthening the European community of Open Source developers as it will increase quality of Open Source software, reducing time to market/use and establishing a proofed path to integrate Open Source components among them and without the risks linked to complex and incompatible licensing schemata.